|Monday's lesson : layered cake|
What lessons come with making cake?
- Crack and separate eggs.
- Divvy cake batter between three pans. You can't eyeball it; you must use a measuring cup and --like siblings require--keep it even.
- Decide to make our own food coloring or go with the artificial (issues of food safety vs appearance and taste).
- Level a cake layer after it comes out all puffed on top.
- Mix butter-cream frosting from a recipe.
- Experiment with frosting tips and find that butter-cream goes soft quickly. It needs to be chilled to make textured designs.
- Improvise frosting flavoring when the vanilla is used up for the first batch. (Almond flavored the 2nd batch)
- Experience that cake, delicious as it is, leaves one with a sugar hangover.